An AR filter for instagram made for “Auroboros” a digital couture house working on virtual fashion collections.
The filter was created using SparkAR, Blender, Substance painter and Maya.
Quick 10 min shape sketch made in Zbrush
for feedback before starting the main modeling
First Growing animation tests
First test of growing petals
Since space and complexity were limited because of Facebooks file size limit on instagram filters, we decided to go with a simple scaling animation of shapes instead of particle effects.
For the first test I made flower growths using mayas paint effects.
The look was satisfying but the shapes turned out to be too heavy for instagrams 4MB filesize limit on filters
So instead of more leaf like growths i decided to suggest shapes basically made up out of dodecahedrons.
I created the shapes by pluging a single dodecahedron into a MASH network (procedural node tool) to create clusters, these were then converted to meshes, combined and rebuild using code.
The bigger globs were distributed using another MASH network, converted to polygons again and keyed for animation.
(a few single dodecahedrons were also placed to give the feeling of more sperate growths)
Spark AR and PBR materials
Transferring the model and animations to SparkAR. getting the placement right was a bit of a challenge and there was clipping with the back of the model. I used some guide object to get placement and scaling right
To avoid the clipping (seeing the back of the ‘crown’ through the head i used the facemask and a sphere with transparent textures to occlude everything behind them, thus not overlapping anything over the face.
To keep the file size minimal the number of texture maps has been kept to a minimum. Most of the looks come directly from the PBR material properties from the SparkAR material editor. The only image files used were a Custom HDRI for the reflectiveness and a single texture file used for the the pink crystals reflectiveness and and surface details (a single map with different channels for both).